Sunday, August 15, 2004

LAST NIGHT I GOOGLED FOR HIBACHI

Blame Weird Al.

I found out that it has roots in Sanskrit. Hence, I discovered for the first time in my life that Oriental and Indo-European languages influenced one another.

This was cool. This was worthwhile. This made my day. In fact, it made my week, my month, and very likely my year. This simple discovery changed a dreary boring weekend for my wife and myself into a thrilling, happy think-fest.

All this got me thinking and reminded me of T.H. White.

"'The best thing for being sad,' replied Merlyn, beginning to puff and blow, 'is
to learn something. That is the only thing that never fails...Learn why the
world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never
exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never
dream of regretting. Learning is the thing for you.'"

--The Once and Future King



Thus I propose a new theory for why the last year has been such a struggle. The number of things I have really truly learned can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand...perhaps both, if I'm generous.

At Hillsdale, I learned something at least once a week, if not every day. Thus, I was happy and full of vim and vigour for life.

It is a simple theory. I think it is correct. I think I need to find something else to learn.

I think I'm a nerd or something.

No comments: