Friday, March 21, 2003

And so it begins. Before too much time passes, I wanted to post an addendum to my last post. While I am not exactly comfortable with some of these statements by the Orthodox Peace Fellowship, I am humbled and my hawkishness chastened by the dedication to peace evinced by the bishops, priests, deacons and laity who have signed the statement. This war is only justified in the slightest because it seeks to save life--to establish a truer peace than has existed in Iraq for many years, and to increase the security of the United States and the entire world.

With that said, I would like to point you to one more Orthodox statement on the war, this time from the Holy Eparchial synod of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. This official encyclical exemplifies the position of the Church on any war: a recognition of the reality of this fallen world, a cautious support for those in service of the country, intense prayers for a swift and bloodless end to the conflict, and, most of all, for the salvation of all.

Amen and amen. Kyrie eleison.

No comments: