Thursday, January 15, 2004

SARTRE, GREEK AND CHRISTIANITY--some thoughts scribbled down during the first lecture of the Introduction to New Testament (not that the lecture was boring: on the contrary, it was excellent, but I didn't want to forget what I was thinking). If I misunderstand the language philosophers, Silliman or other critics, drop me a note. Also, please suggest whom and what I might read to get a better idea of what they say.

If language is relative, not absolute, then, if one is to understand a particular argument, text or tale, one must immerse one's self in those works, language and culture to which the first argument/work is relative.

It is this which lends importance to the Greek language, the patristic texts and the Orthodox Church--for this IS the language and these the texts and the culture which give context to the works (including, but not limited to Scripture) which promise life, love and ultimate fulfillment in human life.

Let my language philosopher friends correct me if I am wrong.

This intellectual path, however, is only one way. The other is the ascetic, prayer-filled life of the monastic--and this is the more direct path. Moreover, the intellectual path's only ultimate virtue is that it points to this reality of life possessed by the saintly ascetic. For those whose nature inclines towards academics, it may be an aid, a crutch and even a means by which that might ease the path of others into this life of life-creating death. But it is not essential.

For the language philosophers are right. Words alone mean nothing. Even in context, they can only point the way. The only absolute in human life is the ineffable, inarticulable, incomprehensible encounter with the Absolute God in the depths of one's heart. If we do not seek this, in our study, in our prayer and in our very way of life, our quest is vain and empty.

On a completely different note, I include a few pictures from my wedding. If you'd like to see more, drop by my picture web page.


Our koumbaros Seraphim exchanges the crowns on our heads as His Eminence Metropolitan Nicholas looks on.


My new wife and I appear to be very happy. :)


The clergy, consisting of His Eminence, Father Demetri Tonias of the GOA, Father Dusan Koprivica of the OCA and the Metropolitan's Deacon Theodore, present us.


We few, we happy few, we seminarians...myself and my godfather/koumbaros/very good friend Seraphim Danckaert.


Myself, my new wife Elisabeth Cook and His Eminence Metropolitan Nicholas


Elisabeth and I are married as my parents, brothers and sisters look on (apparently happily, thank God).

For those in the Orthodox blogosphere who have wished to see Seraphim and myself and our bearded-ness, do take particular note of the above. Imagine us in black dresses, and you have the picture perfectly.

No comments: